I have asked W for his Gumbo recipe and he allowed me to publish it. He always uses cups!
- Slice 1 pound tofu. Heat 3 tbs peanut oil in a pan and fry tofu until golden brown, then remove from pan. The oil should be consumed by now.
- Add 1/3 cup of peanut oil and 2/3 cups of wheat flour to the pan and reduce heat. Roast until flour is golden brown.
- Add 1 cup of cubed onions and 1 clove of garlic, grated, and roast for several minutes.
- Add 2 cups of chopped celery stalks, 2 cups of sliced okra and 2 cups of cubed ball pepper, and as much chile as you can stand. You can also use adobo sauce! Roast again for several minutes.
- Add 3 cups of cubed tomatoes and 4 to 6 cups vegetable broth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Put the tofu back into the broth, until it’s warm.
- Spice up with even more chile!
W served the Gumbo with red rice and bread and he did not add as much chile as he pretended because he knows I can’t eat it🙂 You can also use chicken, beef or crocodile instead of the tofu. W said, yesterday’s version was vegan.
We had a very nice evening and talked a lot about W’s Grammy and W made a Gumbo offering for one of his Gods. He is called Papa Legba, but W said many Christian Saints like Gumbo as well. I have given a bit to Lord Shiva and it was ok, I think. But He likes other things better🙂